Welcome

Greetings friends and family! Welcome to our blog. We hope it serves as a way to communicate and travel with us as we begin our journey across the U.S.A. and to China. We look forward to sharing our experiences with you all, and hope to hear from each of you often :)

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ni duo da le?

"How Old Are You?" My friend, June, asked. Having just celebrated my birthday, I was fairly sure I was 28 years old. I was corrected today. I am actually 30. Who knew? We were sitting in the cafĂ©, discussing our Chinese zodiac signs and ages, and upon saying I was a 28 year old mouse, June began doing some mental math and was quick to let me know nicely that indeed, I was wrong. Yes, I am a mouse according to Chinese astrology. This is based on the year I was born. Easy math since there are only 12 animals on the Chinese zodiac which cycle and all the Chinese know the order so can quickly figure out what “you are” by working backwards from the current year in multiples of 12.

Anyway, back to why I am 30 according to the Chinese. June began explaining that when you are born, the Chinese believe that you turn one. Okay, I thought, this isn’t too uncommon. Most of the Korean students at my school go by the same rule, so when asked their age, they have a “Korean” age and an “other” age. But where did that extra year come from? The Chinese also believe that on Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), you celebrate another birthday (along with 1.3 billion other Chinese citizens who also celebrate their birthday during Spring Festival). SO, since I turned 1 year old upon being born, when Spring Festival came in January of 1985, I became 2 years old with the rest of the country. Then when my real birthday came soon after on February 7 in ’85…can you guess? Yup that was actually my 3rd birthday. Silly me. Haha. After that, the birthdays stayed the same, but it all added an extra 2 years to my age. Confused yet? Yeah, it took June a few times to walk me through the math and calendar to understand the logic behind it all. It makes sense when you look from the perspective and traditions of Chinese culture.

Just when you think you know everything…

No comments:

Post a Comment